My Progress

Tuesday 16 January 2018

Giving Up Gluten

Hi all,
I wanted to talk today about something new I've been trying for about a week now. I started suffering from a really bad virus a couple of weeks back. Intense headaches, stomach pains, rib pain, chest pain, nausea, and vomiting. It was bad and I'm still not feeling totally over it.
While I was feeling really unwell, I was finding that eating was making me feel so much worse. I'd be hungry, really hungry, but whenever I ate something it would make me feel terrible.
My mum, who's a trained nurse practitioner, suggested that I come off of gluten. She has a lot of health problems and food intolerances as well and she always sees benefits when she gives up gluten.
So, I've been giving it a go.
Giving up gluten is tough for me, a lot of my favorite foods are packed full of it. Like pizza, cakes, pasta, and bread. Now, these are mostly foods I'm supposed to be cutting out or limiting on my whole foods diet anyway, but on treat days these things would be my go-to. There are gluten-free options for all of these items, but I'm trying to go for more foods that are simply naturally gluten-free. Having said that, I am getting a gluten-free pizza today, but I'm going to try and limit the number of times I do things like that.
So far, it's hard to say if there have been any benefits. I haven't had my first weigh-in yet, so weight loss linked to it is yet to be seen. As for health benefits. I've just come down with a possible chest infection and I'm still getting intense headaches, but at this stage, it could be withdrawal from Gluten causing my headaches to be worse.
My first weigh-in is tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes and I'll keep you all posted on any health benefits I've been seeing.

Have you ever given up gluten? How did you find it? Let me know in the comments and please share and subscribe if you like this post.

Until next time,

H.

No comments:

Post a Comment